How Many Cups of Green Tea A Day to Lose Weight
As one of the most-consumed drinks in the world, tea has many health benefits. Among the many types of tea, green tea is the most popular one in the world. Green tea, touted as the wonder drink for weight loss, has magical antioxidants that boost metabolism and promote fat loss. Then when is the best time to drink green tea for weight loss and how many cups of green tea a day to lose weight? Let’s explore now.
How Does Green Tea Help Weight Loss?
Green tea is well known for its massive range of antioxidants. The most important of these is EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate), a substance that brings many health beneficial. Research has shown that ECGC may:
- boost metabolism
- increase levels of hormones that tell fat cells to break down fat
- boost the burning of fat
How Many Cups of Green Tea A Day to Lose Weight?
A journey published in the University of Maryland Medical Centre reported that 2-3 cups of green tea in a day is good. There are approximately 240 – 320 mg of polyphenols in three cups of green tea. However, this does not mean you can lose weight only with 3 cups of green tea a day. The Journal of Nutrition reported that 3 cups of green tea combined with exercise burns abdominal fat. Green tea’s ECGC can help you blast more body fat when combining with moderate exercise. It is reported by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that fat burning increased by 17% during a 30-minute cycling test when consuming 366 milligrams of EGCG.
Tips and Warnings
- No More Than 5 Cups A Day: A cup or 8 oz of green tea contains 24–45 mg caffeine. And it is better to consume no more than 400 mg of caffeine a day for an adult. Drinking too much coffee may cause caffeine overdose. Also, too much green tea intake can cause upset stomach and constipation in lower doses.
- Add Lemon or Lime: The lemon or lime slices added in green tea can help increase antioxidants absorption.
- Steeping Times Matter: When brewing loose leaf green tea, you can steep at least 4 times. When using tea bags, it is better to steep only once.
- Bets Time to Drink Green Tea: You should drink green tea an hour before or after meals. Also, it’s great for weight loss to drink a cup half an hour before exercising. If you want to have a good sleep, drink green tea at least 2 hours before bedtime.
Green tea is good, but too much of a good thing can be bad. 2 or 3 cups of green tea is great. I always comply with this rule. For convenience, I always brew a teapot of green tea in the morning with my 900 ml teapot (about 3 cups). When the tea drink up, I know it’s limit. I will keep the tea hot with a tea warmer. The teapot and tea warmer do a great favor.