Best way to keep bread fresh longer
There’s nothing more delicious like fresh baked bread right from the bakery, but if you want you refrigerate it, or even freeze it?
First we need to figure out what exactly makes bread not that fresh, most people would say the loss of moisture. Yes, it’s kind of true, partially. In order to give you that fluffy texture taste, water must be well absorbed on the baking process of fresh bread, so when the bread cools for several days, water would leave the starch and the bread has absorbed enough air to get dry and hard, even crunchy.
Tips to keep bread fresh longer at home:
- 1.Don’t buy pre-sliced bread. Practically everyone knows pre-sliced bread will expose more area into air, it’s easier to get stale and molding.
- 2.Don’t put the unwrapped bread into a refrigerator. As the low temperatures of the fridge will probably speed up the drying process.
- 3.If there’s not too much bread left and you just want to keep it for like 3-5 days, leave it in a dark and airtight box at room temperature is a good idea. However, if it’s in hot summer, this method is not recommended, any warm temperature or humidity increase may cause food spoilage.
- 4.Better freeze it than refrigerating it. If it’s homemade bread, usually it takes shorter time to become stale, when the bread cools down you can slice the bread you would like to reserve and put it into the ziploc plastic bag, then wrap the ziploc bag into a paper bag and place it into the freezer. You can microwave it for around 10 seconds to fall the slices apart from each other when you need it.
- 5.Toast the bread. No matter what kind of way you store your bread, you’d better toast or grill it when you decide to eat it. It will help boost the palatability.
If unfortunately your bread has gone stale and very hard, you can also find a way to make it soft and fresh again, the key point is you need to reintroduce the lost moisture back to the loaf.
- 1.Briefly soak the stale bread in a bowl of cold water.
- 2.Pop it into a 425 degree oven for 7-8 minutes to crisp it up.
- 3.Take it out and it’s all done with a steaming and fresh taste.
If you have better idea to keep bread fresh longer please leave a comment below and we will see which one is the best.